Suicidal Ideation-10 Danger Signals
Welcome to the topic, “Suicidal Ideation and 10 Danger Signals”.
Suicidal ideation is a state of severe disruption, a failure of having intolerable feelings and thoughts, in which death appealingly offers a way of escape. It is expected that when an individual commits suicide or attempts to commit suicide they are either depressing, it is a cry for support or it is an effort to influence others.
When a person acts on suicidal ideas, they act out of a fantasy in which the intended outcome of the action is the death of the body. The harshness and violence integrated with suicidal acts, ending one’s body and the mind of others can reduce the capacity for thought and kindness which is needed to have expressive conversations about suicidal ideation and help improve Suicide Prevention.
Other aspects that raise the risk of suicide are the following:
People having clinical depression, schizophrenia or alcoholism, are at the highest risk of committing suicide.
Drug and alcohol misuse, family breakdown, and social isolation. People with a diagnosed mental health disorder are at particular risk.
Around 90% of suicide targets suffer from a mental disorder at the time of death. However, most people suffering from suicidal ideas are not having any mental health services. Hence, all of us need to recognize the danger signals.
10 danger signals for suicide
- Be mindful of any prior suicide attempts. Up to 20% of survivors attempt again within a year. They are 100 times more likely to go for a complete suicide than people who don’t have attempted it before.
- Be aware of attempted or actual suicide by a close relative or parent, often suicidal ideas come to mind from the unfinished or unacknowledged battles of childhood.
- Episodes of anger and rage. This can be a method of expressing uncontrollable feelings and thoughts. The violence innate in suicide can often be ignored due to despair and desperation.
- A recently faced failure. Poor self-esteem and extremely self-critical beliefs will increase thoughts of failure. It may need additional thought around talks or new relationships everything that may increase the risk of refusal.
- Look out for a change in appearance. Looking un-kept, not eating, dirty clothes, or sleeping too much represents a swing toward suicide.
- Acting irresponsibly putting themselves in danger with no worry for the consequences. You may have observed increased use of alcohol, gambling, drugs, or other risk-taking behavior.
- Frightening to hurt or kill themselves if you don’t do somewhat. But under such heaviness, it is difficult not to do what they need but think it through making a quick decision.
- Development of a suicide plan which may not be clear. Look out for talking or writing about dying, death or suicide.
9. Loss of concern for others and self. Not involving in activities or with people they typically enjoy.
10. Self-cutting or self-harm represents a wish for help and may signal prior suicide attempts. However, not all people engaging in self-harm can use professional assistance. Keep seeking professional help if you have any suicidal ideation.
Contact experts of More Life Recovery Center for quick assistance.